How To Minimize Insecticide and Miticide Resistance
1. Use a variety of management strategies:
2. Rotate chemical classes with different modes of activity.
3. Minimize use of persistent materials, which can increase insect/mite exposure time.
4. Minimize the use of tanks mixes. Pests may develop resistance to multiple insecticides.
5. Use materials with non-specific modes of activity: soaps, oils, neem compounds, insect growth regulators, and entomopathogenic fungi and bacteria.
6. Spot spray. This avoids exposing entire pest population to pesticide.
7. Time applications to kill most vulnerable stages. May result in the use of reduced ratesand/or less frequent pesticide applications.
Raymond A. Cloyd